Jul 6, 2011

Dark Jenny Boneshaker

I won an ARC copy of Dark Jenny by Alex Bledsoe off the twitter from Tor a few months back.

I ended up really enjoying this book. Alex Bledsoe blends a detective story with fantasy. Instead of pistols and trench coats, we have cloaks and swords. The mystery became quite intriguing and Bledsoe surprised me. That doesn't always happen. So, he's won me over as a fan. I ended up buying The Sword-Edged Blonde, the first in the Eddie LaCrosse series. It's sitting in my TBR pile waiting its turn. So, I'm glad I won the book, otherwise I would have missed out on some good, fun reading. Hope Alex keeps writing. I'll keep reading.



You can find out more about Alex and his work on his website: http://alexbledsoe.com/ He also suffers blogger like the rest of us. His blog: http://downinluckytown.blogspot.com/



Since I have an upcoming WIP [someday, someday] in the steampunk genre, I've been researching other works. That's how I stumbled across Cherie Priest's Boneshaker. I have to say, I hate zombies. Loathe them. It's one of those irrational phobia things. However, I loved Boneshaker and Cherie Priest's writing. If I don't have to look at zombies, it's OK. And if the zombies got too intense, I'd just skip ahead. The atmosphere in this novel is a treasure. I'm a big atmosphere sucker. To me, it's as big of a star as the main character. This was a very imaginative work, dripping with atmosphere. I hope Cherie has a long, prolific career. You can find out more about her and her writing at: http://www.cheriepriest.com/


Currently I'm reading To Say Nothing of the Dog by Connie Willis.




Upcoming blogfests:

July 15 / Poetry Schmoetry Blogfest hosted by Small Town Shelly Brown at Writing With Shelly.

July 18 / Inspiration Blogfest hosted by Summer Ross of My Inner Fairy

August 1 / Novels/Films Blogfest hosted by Madeleine Maddocks of Scribble and Edit. More forthcoming on her blog post on July 7th.

How about you? Run into any good books lately?