Apr 8, 2011

Genre Huygens


The genre I usually write in is speculative fiction.
Specifically, it is defined as encompassing the more hightly imaginative fiction genres -- science fiction, fantasy, horror, supernatural fiction, superhero fiction, utopian and dystopian fiction, apocalpytic and post-apocalyptic fiction, and alternative history.

Although I tend to write space opera, I mix in other subgenres of sci-fi with those and have written fantasy, superhero, cyberpunk, dystopian, post-apocolyptic, supernatural and steampunk. Space opera is - think Star Trek, Babylon5, Farscape, Stargate, Star Wars, Firefly, Battle Star Galactica ... It's big, its dramatic. Some use more science than others. It's a subgenre in flux and does not mean what it once did.

I am drawn to exploring other worlds and space. It seems most of my adult life I had to keep my creativity and imagination in check. In science fiction and fantasy, I don't have to. That's it's appeal to me and why it called to me over all the other genres. At least, for now.

When I moved to NYC after college, I read a lot of sci-fi. I was reading Galapagos by Vonnegut and I went down to the newstand in my building and there was Kurt himself buying cigarettes. How surreal.

Visit the other Fantastic Friday Writers




 
 
 





Huygens http://www.esa.int/SPECIALS/Cassini-Huygens/
 
Huygens was a probe attached to Cassini which seperated from Cassini to land on Titan in December 2005. Titan has a very thick atmosphere - hazy like Venus. Huygens took the first photos of the surface of Titan ever seen. It descended down on a parachute to land on the Saturn moon in a sort of mud.
 
 
 
The probe was named after Christian Huygens 1629-1695. He discovered Titan, which is why ESA [European Space Agency} named the probe after him.
 
Huygens achieved note for his argument that light consists of waves now known as the Huygens-Fresnel principle, which became instrumental in the understanding of wave-particle duality. He generally receives credit for his discovery of the centrifugal force, the laws for collision of bodies, for his role in the development of modern calculus and his original observations on sound perception. Huygens is seen as the first theoretical physicist as he was the first to use formulae in physics
 
 


What drew you to your genre? Do you have a favorite scientist?
 

Hosted by Arlee Bird of Tossing it Out http://tossingitout.blogspot.com/